88th ANNUAL AWARDS EXHIBITION
BROOKGREEN GARDENS, SC:
June 12 – August 22, 2021
NEW YORK, NY:
October 4 – December 10, 2021
Over $17,000 in Cash Awards. Award Winning Works Travel to NYC
National Sculpture Society’s 88th Annual Awards Exhibition is open to NSS Fellows, Elected Sculptor Members, and Associates whose dues are paid in full. Not a member? Join HERE. Please note that work that is inspired by nature, or figurative, or realist sculpture, is preferred. All entries are subject to jury. Works previously exhibited in Annual NSS Exhibitions are ineligible. All work will be juried anonymously from submitted images. Sculptors must have a social security or tax ID number to be eligible to receive an award. Please note that ONLY award winners’ works will travel to NYC for exhibition in the NSS Gallery.
Artists are asked to submit their very best work. Sculptures may be in any permanent medium. Terracotta, Plaster, Ceramic, and works in other fragile materials will be considered, but only on the condition that artists assume all responsibility for proper packaging and shipping of works. The NSS and Brookgreen Gardens will NOT be held responsible for any damages. Works of all sizes will be considered, including reliefs and medals. Sculpture must not have been in a previous NSS Annual Exhibit.
JURY AND NOTIFICATION
A Jury of Selection and a Jury of Awards will be assembled at a later date. Each jury will include non-members of the NSS and at least 1 sculptor and 1 curator whose responsibilities will be to either review works for inclusion in the show or decide awards for sculpture after the show has been installed. Shortly after the Jury of Selection convenes, emails will be sent to all sculptors who submitted to inform them whether their work was chosen or not. The Jury of Awards will meet after the exhibition is installed and a “People’s Choice” Award will be presented at the reception. All participating sculptors will be notified by email of the Jury of Awards selections and the “People’s Choice Award” in a timely manner.
All accepted sculptors will be asked to sign a brief contract stating that they agree to loan their accepted work of sculpture for the duration of the exhibition at Brookgreen Gardens and at National Sculpture Society. Contracts will also establish price for all works intended for sale.
Insurance for individual works in transit is strongly encouraged and is the responsibility of the sculptor.
Sculptures accepted in the exhibition are not required to be available for sale. Inquiries about purchasing works in the exhibition will be referred to Brookgreen Gardens. A commission of 25% will be charged on all sales. A courtesy discount of 10% will be given to Patron Members and taken off the top of the sale price; artists and Brookgreen Gardens will split the 10% discount. National Sculpture Society will receive no commission from sales. Prices will be established in this agreement and will not be subject to change.
An exhibition catalog will be created for the show and a cataloging fee of $100 will be charged to each sculptor juried into the show. Information about individual works will be taken after acceptance into the show. Each exhibitor will receive 4 copies of the catalog.
A reception will be given at Brookgreen Gardens on Saturday, August 21. However, the exhibition will remain open to the public through Sunday, August 22. No works may be removed from the exhibition prior to Monday, August 23.
A non-refundable processing fee of $50 must be included with all submissions; credit card information will be taken on a secure server.
Sculpture MUST be crated. NO EXCEPTIONS! Cardboard boxes will not withstand storage and travel-wear and will not be accepted. Crates should be constructed with screws so that they can be easily opened and closed several times. Building a crate that must be completely disassembled to remove the sculpture or to re-crate it is not acceptable. Opening and closing directions should be marked clearly on the exterior of the crate, and the sculptor’s name should also be boldly and clearly marked on the crate for ease of handling in transit. Artists may choose to enclose photographs or diagrams to illustrate proper crating of work.
2021 EXHIBITION CALENDAR
- January 15, 2021: Submission Deadline
- February 12: Notification mailed to artists.
- March 1: Catalog material due (photos, artist statements and bios)
- May 17 – June 4: Sculpture shipped to/received at Coastal Transfer & Storage in Georgetown, SC.
- June 12: 88th Annual Awards Exhibition opens at Brookgreen Gardens.
- August 21: Reception for 88th Annual Awards Exhibition at Brookgreen Gardens.
- August 22: 88th Annual Awards Exhibition closes at Brookgreen Gardens.
- August 23 – 27: Show is dismantled and sculpture re-crated in original crates.
- August 30: Sculpture is picked up by Coastal Transfer & Storage and brought to their warehouse in Georgetown, SC. Award winners’ works will be picked up and shipped to NYC in designated truck.
- August 31 – September 30: Sculptors must arrange to have sculpture picked up from Coastal Transfer & Storage or storage fees will be charged to individual sculptors.
- October 4 – December 10: 88th Annual Award Winners Exhibition at National Sculpture Society in New York City.
- December 13 – 17: 88th Annual Award Winners’ works re-crated and shipped back to artists.
NO WORKS WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE EXHIBITION PRIOR TO AUGUST 23rd (Brookgreen, SC)
or DECEMBER 10th (Award Winners’ Exhibition, New York, NY).
ALL ACCEPTED ARTISTS WILL SIGN OFF ON THIS IN THEIR INDIVIDUAL CONTRACTS.
WHERE TO SUBMIT/WHAT TO SUBMIT/A CHECK LIST
- Submit at nationalsculpture.org/entry-thingy Be certain to submit to “88th Annual Awards Exhibition”
- Sculptors may submit up to a maximum of 3 works (and up to 3 images/work) for a grand total of 9
- Sculptors will be required to give their name, address, title of sculpture, date, medium, dimensions (height including base, base width and depth), and price of work (if for sale).
- $50 non-refundable processing fee. Secure credit card payments can be made through Authorize.net. Personal checks or money orders will be accepted via mail payable to National Sculpture Society.
- All works must be delivered in a crate that is suitable for shipping. No exceptions! (Cardboard boxes will not withstand the travel & storage and will not be accepted).
- All works must be shipped, at sculptor’s expense, to Coastal Transfer & Storage, 3250 South Fraser Street, Georgetown, SC 29440. At the conclusion of the exhibition’s run at Brookgreen Gardens, all works will be re-crated and stored at Coastal Transfer & Storage. NSS will remind participants of the closing date and artists will make independent arrangements (via FedEx, UPS, etc…) to pick up or ship their work from South Carolina.
- Sculptors are responsible for shipping costs to and from Brookgreen.
- NSS will pay for shipment of sculpture included in the 88th Annual Award Winners’ Exhibition from SC to NYC. Sculptors will pay for return shipment of their work from NYC at the conclusion of the show.
EXHIBITION QUESTIONS? Contact Patty Delahanty at National Sculpture Society
email@example.com or (212) 764-5645 ext. 103